Published by the University of South Wales (USW), Research Methods for Business Students, Managers and Entrepreneurs
A media-rich, multi-touch iBooks textbook, which provides a foundation for research, both for academic study and for practical application in a business environment.
Video, audio and image gallery illustrations bring key concepts and examples to life, while a detailed case study runs through the book, following the experiences of a (fictional) student to see how she approaches the challenges and requirements that arise at the different stages of her research project. At selected points in the main text, a reflective activity is introduced to encourage the reader to consider or explore the aspect under discussion.
*Technical note: this book can be read on an iPad, or on an Apple computer running OS Mavericks or a later OS.*
This iBooks Textbook is equivalent to a full module of study at Masters’ Level (UK) and is the result of collaboration between a wide range of academic and professional staff of the University of South Wales. The book’s video animations can also be downloaded from South Wales on iTunes U.
1. What is research?
2. Choosing a topic and aim
3. Approaches to research [deductive/inductive processes, research strategies]
4. The literature review
5. General research considerations [sampling techniques, validity, confidentiality]
6. Methods of data collection [constraints, collecting data, pilot studies]
7. Data collection: questionnaires
8. Data collection: interviews [planning, forms of interaction]
9. Data collection: observation [role of the researcher, recording observations, structured observation]
10. Action research [characteristics and models]
11. Qualitative analysis [data analysis, strategies, grounded theory, validity, reliability]
12. Quantitative analysis [analysing data, descriptive statistics]
13. Writing up your research report [telling your story, structure of the report]
Copyright and credit